Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wow

It's been less than 2 months since activation and up until my last map, which I had on December 9, I was doing well with my implant but I was still struggling with comprehending about 40% of what was coming thru, especially since everything still sounded very chipmunk-like. So at my mapping appointment I complained a little about the chipmunk voices and how words seemed to run together, making it difficult to understand word for word what someone was saying. So with that my audi lowered one of the tones or something, I'm not really sure.. but as soon as he started talking I noticed immediately that his voice sounded deeper and more realistic.. human I should say. It's utterly fantastic. I can hear about 99% of what's coming thru. He also added a program for the phone this time and when I got home I called my sister.. I heard everything she said! Sure, she sounded a little different, but I understood her! Also music sounds MUCH better now..
I also wanted to add that at my mapping appointment my audiogram showed 20-25db across the board. Then I visited with the speech therapist to find out how well I was hearing certain sounds, like s, sh, c, t, etc.. and I scored 100% with the implanted ear but only 50% with my other hearing aided ear.


I don't know how I lived without this! Oh wait, I wasn't living. I was holed up at home avoiding the world. I'm still getting used to being able to hear again and learning to relax when around other people. I'm still not very confident and I get shaky..I imagine it will take some time but I'm getting better.
The very best incentive to having this done is my kids. After all these years of frustrating communication problems, especially with my daughter, I am finally able to hear them and hear them well. My daughter and I both noticed a few weeks ago that I didn't ask her to repeat herself once. Already, communication problems I've had with them are a thing of the past. Then yesterday at a family gathering they all were amazed at how well I was picking up on the conversation. We were laughing and joking about it. I won't lie, I had a hard time hearing everyone at the same time and they can get pretty loud and confusing with everyone talking at the same time! But it was great all the same and I was able to keep up with them for the most part.

The other day I was feeling brave so I finally completed the community college registration and financial aid stuff that I've been putting off. One side of me is scared that it will be another humiliating experience.. but the other side says it's time to stop being scared and start living again. So that's what I'm going to do.. starting January 12 I am going to begin another chapter in my life.



Thanks for reading... and big hugs to my fellow cochlear implantees! What an amazing journey we've been thru and if it wasn't for you guys I would've never had the guts to have this done!
Much love and thanks to you guys!!

4 comments:

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

wow well done what a positive outlook!

Glad ur mapping went well and people are less chipmunky! Look for ward to reading more of your CI journey!! x

Abbie said...

I agree with you, now is the time to take risks :) I'm glad to see that you are doing so well!

Anonymous said...

Well done!! Glad everything is going so well :)

http://ajcochlearimplant.blogspot.com/

L. Roberts said...

What did your audi change? I just was activated and am still struggling the same way. cynewulffe@yahoo.com